Nintendo Wii forums Forum for writers phpBB mods Essays on copyright Dating advice Narnia forums

New plugin for JW Player

I created a small simple plugin for the JW Player.  However, that plugin hasn't seen the light of day in their add-ons repository.  So I thought I'd add it here.  More description & links in the following paragraphs.

The problem

The JW Player has a weird mute configuration.  While you can automatically mute the player before the video starts, there is no indication to the user of this.  So the JW Player has a "show mute" setting that you may optionally enable to pop up an icon indicating that the volume is muted.  The problem is that this button is both broken and non-intuitive.  It's broken because clicking it doesn't actually unmute anything.  Instead, clicking it pauses the video.  "Whaaaaaat?" you might say.  Yes, the mute indicator pauses.  As far as being non-intuitive, I would put forward that the unmute icon doesn't even really indicate what it is or does.  I'm sure that at least a few people have seen the icon and been relatively confused about what it means.

The solution

My product will change the interactions around muting video, making it more palatable to start videos with the sound muted by default.  First, it changes the icon to be larger and more pretty, with some explanatory text.  Second, clicking the icon will actually unmute.  Third, the icon will disappear once the user clicks it.

The details

This is a JavaScript plugin.  You'll need to put the unmuter.js file on your server in the same location that you use for the jwplayer.js file.  To make the example page work, you'll need to update the paths in that file -- make sure the .js files are all accurately listed, as well as the .swf path and the .mp4 path (which can be a path to any video you have).

There is one configuration options, which you'll see in the example file is commented out.  That is, the "image" option allows you to specify some other image to use as the mute button, if you don't like mine.

Download

Unmuter should eventually appear as an add-on over at longtailvideo.com, the official home of the JW Player. Until then, you can download the code and the example file here.

About

Unmuter was created by Tony Boyd while under employment at OnLive, a gaming company. OnLive does not provide support for this product. It is maintained solely by Tony Boyd.

Navigate

« New Greasemonkey Script: Show Attachments, JIRA! | Main

Nav by tag: javascript
« Updated my Greasemonkey script for rpg.net | Main
Nav by tag: jw_player
Main
Nav by tag: tech
« New Greasemonkey Script: Show Attachments, JIRA! | Main
Bookmark It! Technorati del.icio.us Netvouz DZone ThisNext Wists blinkbits BlinkList blogmarks blogtercimlap Blue Dot Bumpzee co.mments connotea DotNetKicks Fark feedmelinks Fleck Furl Gwar Haohao Hemidemi IndiaGram IndianPad Internetmedia kick.ie LinkaGoGo Linkter Ma.gnolia MyShare Netscape NewsVine PlugIM PopCurrent ppnow RawSugar Reddit Shadows Simpy Slashdot Smarking Spurl Webride YahooMyWeb
TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments (25)
test writes:

test

James writes:

A dog bring me love
Once the love wound, I no longer believe in love.
She and I have been living together for five years, five years of our life is very simple, very happy. But, gradually, when we leave the campus, I have not found a well-paid job, she can't stand the poor life, therefore, that day, we parted, she made a boss's lover. From then on, I was fall, not in the mood to go to work, I can't stand her unfeeling. I am accustomed to a person every evening in the park pavilion to drink.
I'm surprised is, when I drinking and eating, a dog will appear in my side. I think it is also being abandoned, so I regard it as an experience similar with my friends.
One day , A beautiful girl with long hair came into my world with a sweet smile. She is a stray dog shelter. She pitifully hold the dog, rebuke I don't take care of your dog. I explained to her that the dog does not belong to me, she smiled. She said she saw me give the dog to eat, I am loving person. And, she hope I can adopt the homeless dog. And promised, would often come to visit the dog.
From then on, every day she will come to me, to see the dog. We give the dog take a shower, with his grooming, dog clothes wholesale market to buy a dog beautiful dog apparel, and dog shoes, and dog tie, we put the dog dressed like a prince.
Because of the dog, the time we spent together more, have more exchanges, gradually, I forget the past sorrow, began to believe in love, we fell in love from then on.

guitare writes:

Learning notes about the piano is really really simple when compared with mastering all of the notes in your six string.

Click here to go learn Guitar online jamorama Guitar official site.
To develop the ability to learn guitar fast, external motivation such as the desire to join your school band will give you the extra push.

Robert writes:

Your Player, automatically mute the player before the video starts...Its very different superb...this usage add to my player..Thank You

Fidel writes:

September 28, 2012 5:54:32 AMThis gets more subjective, but My spsoue and i much choose the Zune Market. The program is multi-colored, has additional flair, and a number of cool capabilities like Mixview' that permit you to quickly see related albums, songs, or some other users associated with what you're hearing. Clicking on some of those will focus on that object, and another list of neighbors should come into watch, allowing that you navigate about exploring by simply similar performers, songs, or customers. Speaking associated with users, the Zune Social is usually great enjoyable, letting you will find others using shared style and becoming friends using them. You after that can tune in to a playlist created depending on an amalgamation of what your entire friends are hearing, which can also be enjoyable. Those focused on privacy will probably be relieved to understand you can avoid the public via seeing your own personal listening habits in the event you so choose.

All things considered, this is a first class post

Hey, that's a clever way of thinking about it.

No more s***. All posts of this quality from now on

That's a subtle way of thinking about it.

Furrealz? That's marvelously good to know.

No more s***. All posts of this quality from now on

What a great resource this text is.

You really found a way to make this whole process easier.

You are so awesome for helping me solve this mystery.

ejfyqsp writes:

cznixn

It's perfect time to make some plans for the long run and it's time to be happy.
I've learn this submit and if I may I wish to suggest you few fascinating things or suggestions.
Perhaps you could write subsequent articles
relating to this article. I desire to learn more issues approximately
it!

Get latest castle clash cheats from this link castle clash free mana

A team of game hackers developed a pro tool for castle clash game
castle clash free gold

SEO Expert writes:

Glad to read your post :). It is very informative!

Your article is very useful and have good knowledge, thanks for the post.

Very value able post, I read the whole story when I start reading it.

I appreciate your blog post, beautifully expressed and well written.

I just like thе helpful info you ѕupply on your articles.
I'll bookmark уour weblog and tɑke a look аt once more ɦere frequently.

I'm relatively certain I will be told a lοt of new stuff proper here!
Best of luck for the next!

Hey! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from
an established blog. Is it hard to set up your own blog?
I'm not very techincal but I can figure things
out pretty quick. I'm thinking about setting up my own but I'm not
sure where to start. Do you have any ideas or suggestions?